Mrs Williams - Year 4 class teacher
Mrs Milner - Year 4 class teacher
Welcome back to the summer term, we hope you had a lovely two weeks off and ate lots of Easter eggs!
This term Mrs Williams and Mrs Milner will share the curriculum, making links where possible and of course constantly sharing the achievements and progress of your children.
We have included a brief overview of this term’s activities below.
English: This term, we will be using the book Flotsam. From this book we will write adverts, back stories for character as well as writing a sequel. Flotsam. From this book we will write adverts, back stories for character as well as writing a sequel. .
Our grammar work will look at:
- Extending the range of sentences with more than one clause by using a wider range of conjunctions, including when, if, because, although
- Dialogue between characters
- Plural and possessive apostrophes
Mrs Williams will be using the book - Escape from Pompeii by Christina Balit. The children will take part in activities such as re-enacting an everyday scene from the city of Pompeii before writing a setting description. They will explore the main characters, including how their feelings change through the story, and will write letters of advice to help save them from the eruption. Through collecting banks of powerful vocabulary, children will write a vivid description of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. In the final part of the sequence, children will become journalists and write a newspaper article to report on the eruption, including quotes from survivors in the town.
In handwriting, we will continue to use the cursive style to practise the correct letter formation to ensure that children correctly join their letters when writing.
In order to support your child’s learning we ask that your child is heard to read by someone at least 3 times a week and a note made in their reading record books. Books will be changed once your child has completed their Accelerated Reader quiz.
Maths: In Maths this term we will be continuing with:
- Recognise and write decimal equivalents of any number of tenths or hundredths.
- Find the effect of dividing a one or two digit number by 10 or 100, identifying the value of the digits in the answer as ones, tenths and hundredths.
- Comparing, ordering and rounding decimals
- Finding out about pounds and pence
- Ordering, adding and subtracting money
- Telling the time to the nearest 5 minutes
Children need to know their times tables up to 12 x 12 by the end of year so these will be practised daily. Please continue to use TimesTables Rockstars to practise times tables, this allows children to practise multiplication facts in fun and engaging way, however, any additional support with this which you can provide to your child at home will be hugely beneficial to them. This will help to prepare them for their multiplication tables check, which will be administered nationally at the end of the year.
Science: Our topic this term is animals, including humans. Throughout this topic we will cover:
- To describe the simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans in the context of identifying
the parts of the digestive system.
- To identify the different types of teeth in humans and their simple functions by learning about different types of teeth.
- To identify differences, similarities or changes related to simple scientific ideas and processes by comparing human
and animal teeth.
- To set up simple practical enquiries, comparative and fair tests by setting up an enquiry or test to understand what
causes tooth decay.
- To construct and interpret a variety of food chains, identifying producers, predators and prey by understanding
food chains and the role of different plants and animals within them.
Please find a knowledge map within the downloads. This gives information on areas covered within our current science unit.
Computing: The class will spend the first part of the term learning about Photo Editing - they will develop their understanding of how digital images can be changed and edited, and how they can then be resaved and reused. They will consider the impact that editing images can have, and evaluate the effectiveness of their choices.
We will also be learing to program usig Logo. Logo is a text-based programming language where pupils type commands that are then drawn on screen. We will create programs by planning, modifying, and testing commands to create shapes and patterns and looks at repetition and loops within programming
History: We will learn about the Roman Empire and its impact on Britain at the time and the legacy it left us. Please see the knowledge map in the downloads for more information.
R.E: Judaism - focusng on the important events in a Jews Life and how and why do Jews Celebrate?
P.E : Our PE lessons will take place on a Tuesday and Friday, please ensure children come dressed in their outdoor PE kits on these days as we will be outside for PE lessons.
Spellings: will be sent out on a Friday and tested on the following Friday. Please spend some time each week with your child learning these spellings as they are linked to the work we have been doing in school.
Homework: Please focus on daily reading, practising spellings and Timestables Rockstars.
Water bottles: Please could you ensure that your child has a named water bottle every day, particularly while the weather is still so warm.
If you have any questions, please call in to speak to any member of the year 4 teaching staff or email us email@example.com (Monday to Wednesday) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Wednesday to Friday) and we will do our best to help.
Mrs Williams and Mrs Milner