“Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge.”
Our children will have a science curriculum which enables them to confidently explore and discover the world around them, in order to develop a deeper understanding of the world in which we live. A high-quality science education provides the foundations for understanding the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. In Science, we aim to inspire and foster children’s natural curiosity and interest in the world around them. We believe that delivering a high quality science education provides a foundation for understanding the world around us. This is achieved by developing children’s scientific knowledge, encouraging them to question and involving them in practical and teacher led investigations. Children are motivated to understand how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave and analyse causes. We use cross curricular skills to record results and draw upon them to reach scientific concepts and skills, which together will encourage them to develop an enquiring mind and a scientific approach to problem solving.
In addition, promoting the experience of exploring and investigating scientific phenomena, in a range of contexts will ensure a continually evolving knowledge and bank of core skills which will equip them for an ever changing world.
Our Science curriculum ensures all our pupils:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- Children are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
Developing the skills needed to work scientifically and experiencing hands on science is a key priority at Millfields Primary School and Nursery. We ensure this this by:
- Giving pupils regular, high quality, hands-on practical experiences across the whole science curriculum.
- Breaking down the skills of Scientific Enquiry and carefully matching them to appropriate scientific concepts and topics
- Encouraging curiosity and child-lead questioning and investigations where possible.