It is our vision that every child will learn to write by being given real and exciting materials and opportunities. We will show and explain everyday occurrences to the children and inspire them to write about them. We will share excellent writing to inspire children to emulate styles. We encourage children to read their work for enjoyment, to read it aloud to others and provide audiences for writing. We want children to have an understanding that writing has a real purpose and that word choice and style can bring about change.
We teach children at Millfields to write using a cursive script from the beginning of their time here. At Millfields we believe that good presentation skills are important as we want children to value their own work and for others to do the same. By introducing and teaching a consistent cursive script from Early Years, our aim is then for children to be able to focus upon the content of their writing from year 2 onwards rather than on the mechanics of handwriting. We aim for our children to develop a clear cursive handwriting script that they are proud of.
Our English curriculum ensures all our pupils:
- acquire a wide and rich vocabulary and an understanding of grammar; using them effectively in written work.
- develop an appreciation of our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of situations, purposes and audiences
- actively get involved in discussions in order to develop their own understanding; sharing their own thoughts and ideas.
- learn, and use common exception words appropriate to their year group
- develop an understanding of specific spelling rules through participation in Read, Write Inc.
- write using a cursive script
- use the elements of punctuation appropriate to their year group/key stage